If anyone asks you about the most important gear for Fishing! Your answer will be- the fishing line or fishing rod and reel or fishing lures. All of them are undoubtedly important fishing gear. Fishing without any of them is impossible. But another most important equipment is your sunglasses. A good pair of sunglass can protect your eyes and also help you to catch more fish. Now you may ask which type of sunglasses would be good for fishing!? The answer is best quality Polarized Sunglasses can ensure your security and comfort both. Because-
Polarized sunglasses can filter horizontal and vertical waves of light and reduce glare which is not possible with other sunglasses.
They will protect your eyes from harmful UV rays and high-velocity impacts from other boating and fishing objects.
- By eliminating glare, polarized sunglasses will help you to see fish and as well as rocks and structure under the surface.
- A good quality polarized sunglass will sit comfortably on your nose without pinching.
The process of choosing the right one for you may be confusing. But if you are aware of few matters it can be fun. So here we present few important things you need to consider before getting your polarized sunglasses for fishing-
Fit and Comfort:
Choose a pair of glasses that fit you so well that you forget they are on your face. So take time to select the right one. Try on the glasses you like, consider how you feel wearing them and choose the one you feel comfortable. Choose the glass that does not slide down your nose or pinching your temple or hurt your ears.
Lenses are made of various materials like glasses and different types of plastic. So you may get confused which one will be perfect for fishing. The positive side of glass lenses is they are mostly scratch resistance. But they are heavy and you may get injured if they break by any chance.
There are two types of plastic that used for making quality eyewear- high index and polycarbonate plastic. Among them, high index plastic has better peripheral vision than polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is safest, more impact resistance and lighter than any other material. On the other hand, plastic lenses are lighter and the possibility of getting injured by the broken lens is less than the glass lens.
But both of them get scratches easily and need a coating to increase scratch resistance.
Then you need to select the right color of the lens. There are certain colors of lenses that perform better during different times of a day. Available lens colors are
- Amber: Amber is suitable for almost all type of conditions including a darker day without direct sunlight.
- Gray: Gray lens reduce light and glare of direct sunlight remarkably.
- Yellow: Yellow lens can be a good choice for a foggy or hazy day or even works well in early morning or twilight as it provides the best sharpness.
- Copper: Copper can enhance the color contrast under water.
- Green: Green lens can differentiate between objects both above and underwater.
- Silver: It is great for sight fishing and very much suitable for a variable light condition.
- Blue: Blue can reduce glare in maximum level.
Besides, light or dark brown lenses work well for inshore fishing depending on daylight. And gray lenses are perfect for offshore fishing. You can choose the right color considering the condition in which you catch fish normally.
Frame style or color can define your fashion statement besides fitting. It doesn’t affect the performance of the sunglass. Generally, there are two types of frame-
Metal frames are thinner and allow a broader range of vision. These frames are less inflexible than and can be shaped slightly according to your face. So you can wear them comfortably for a long time. But the only drawback of metal frames is it can break easily.
- Composite (plastic) Frames: These frames fits your face comfortably. They are more rigid and less expensive than metal frames.
- Coating: Select the lens with the mirrored coating. Lenses with mirrored coating really help to cut glare by reflecting much of the sunlight away from your eyes.
Your fishing sunglasses must need to be durable. It should be scratch and iimpact resistance and can be cleaned easily. Though each glass comes with an oversized hard case to store it, it is natural to forget the case with you. In this case, if you keep it in your bag or truck’s dash without getting any scratch, you can use the glass on next trip comfortably.
You can choose photochromic lenses that can change the color in response to the intensity of the daylight. You can also customize your fishing sunglass if you use a prescribed glass. Now you just need to select the right polarized fishing sunglass in which you feel comfortable then wear it while fishing or boating.
Last Updated on January 2, 2021 by Leo Evans
Was this article helpful?
Hi, it’s me, Leo Evans. I am a gadget blogger. I have passion over different marine sports and gadgets. My hobbies and experience help me to draw my profession. For my living, I need to investigate and test various gadget and power generator tools I use in my marine and outdoor activities. I share my experience so one can easily understand what should do and what not. My goal is to help others with my work.