Deep cycle batteries are a specialized type of power cell that is created to be able to run very low on power supply and not a malfunction. In fact, if a deep cycle battery only serves slightly and then the charge overcome though, this is the best way to ruin this type of battery. The deep cycle of the term just means that they take a power cycle in depth and run to almost empty before they have to be loaded and that's how they are meant to be used. Charging them is not difficult but you have to do it correctly.
- Install your smart charger, the 12 volt battery charging system. This charger is plugged into your electrical system and permanently attached to the battery. You must be connected to a 120 volt service when the boat is connected to a power line of earth.
- Remove and install a new deep cycle battery when replacing an old one. If you are having difficulty, maintain a charge with your deep-cycle battery, recharging it will not correct the problem. If the battery does not hold a charge, it has survived its useful life and must be replaced. Connect to a new battery at the negative (black) terminals with the battery cables and positive (red). Attach the same color charger to the same color.
- Run the battery charger on your deep-cycle battery according to the instructions of the device you are purchasing. All permanent charging systems are designed to stay on battery full time and some monitor the battery for power levels and add charges when needed.
- Disconnect the charging system from the electrical connection when not in the port or connected to an electrical connection.
- Periodically check the battery with a tester meter or battery voltage to be sure that it is maintaining a correct charge. Be sure not to forget these batteries are designed to sink at a reduced rate before recharging, and if this is not done regularly the battery will no longer be a full charge.
Last Updated on January 2, 2021 by Leo Evans
I am Leo Evans, the founder of trollingpowersolutions, and your guide to solve any query regarding to electronic and power devices. I have to stay updated about different aspects of latest electronics for my living. Now I feel obliged to share my learnings and experience to others with similar interests. If you have the similar interest, then this is where you belong.